Iced Coffees, shopping, packing, moving on to what is important… The special needs orphanage!!! At the special needs orphanage this afternoon we had the opportunity to love, play and pray with around 50 disabled children. Ranging in age from one to twenty years old these children had mental as well as severe physical disabilities. Upon our arrival they were ready to embrace us as they were filled with curiosity and excitement. Although we spoke different languages the love of Christ spoke volumes more than any words we ever could have exchanged. Their physical brokenness was no hindrance to the joy we were surrounded by with giggles, songs and lollipop colored tongues.
There were several moving moments and stories. Let us begin with Sister Teresa. She was a unique nun that spoke Vietnamese, Spanish and a little English. Sister Teresa is a servant like no other. Her kind spirit, smile and love set her apart. She was a true angel. I (Mary Ann) was able to converse with her in Spanish and inquire about her service. I discovered that she has been doing the work with the orphanage for 17 years. I was in awe of her heart from the inside out. The fact that she has chosen to live her life out for those that have been abandoned and unwanted has inspired me to want more of Him and less of me.
I (Rachel) would like to share with you about a 19 year old girl that we met. After years of illness the nuns heard about her when doctors told her family to take her home to let her die because she would be too much work. For almost 5 years the nuns have been meeting her every need as she is paralyzed and blind. When I first walked into the room where she lay, I was immediately drawn to her bedside. I noticed how tense/stressed she appeared to be with the added commotion/excitement that surrounded her. I began to gently rub her back/arms while praying over her. Tears filled my eyes as she relaxed and her clinched lil hand opened grasping to hold my finger. The words “bringing hope” stared back at me from my LOI bracelet and I realized even more so how my desire is to do just that; I long to live a life that glorifies Him by bringing hope to those He puts in my path while praising Him for the privilege of getting to do so.
Our prayer is that God will work in your lives just as He is working in ours. We ask that you join us as we continue to pray for the incredible nuns/children at the special needs orphanage and head to the LOI children’s orphanage tomorrow. Praise and glory be to Him always!!!
Mary Ann Benavides & Rachel Dunnahoe
P.S. We are having internet issues so we will do our best to get updates posted! This was actually written last night and we now had another amazing day that we will try to update you on soon!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment